Located on top of Edinburgh's Royal Mile, near the world-famous Edinburgh Castle, is the Scotch Whisky Experience. This place opened to the public for the first time in 1988, was funded by a pooled effort of 19 different Scotch whisky firms. The company's goal is to increase demand for Scotch whisky worldwide.
It is the perfect first stop for whisky aficionados because it offers an interactive display with an experience that reflects 90% of the Scotch whisky industry. Every year, they have over 300,000 guests, 80 percent coming from outside the country.
How to explore the Scotch Whisky Experience?
- Discover the bounty of Scotland at Amber Restaurant and Whisky Bar. For over 20 years, Amber's chefs have been winning honors and receiving rave reviews for their delectable cuisine and inventive presentation. You should try their Scottish Tapas or Taste of Scotland tasting menu, both of which feature seasonal specialties.
- At Amber's whiskey bar, you may choose from more than 450 drams, ranging from well-known favourites to undiscovered discoveries.
- Take one of their whiskey tours to widen your knowledge, explore flavors and create whisky memories. Their tour guides are very friendly and approachable.
- One of the tours takes you to the barrel ride that is fun and informative. It is great to learn a little more about the main regions and flavors.
- Visit the vault where thousands of whiskies are kept. Besides tasting these whiskies, it is a beautiful sight to behold.
- Shop in the in-house store for some whiskey chocolates, whiskey gift sets, whiskey cocktail essentials, and condiments and jams.