The Unfinished Obelisk is a massive stone structure located in Aswan, Egypt, near the ancient quarry where it was carved. It is believed to have been intended for the Temple of Karnak in Thebes but was left unfinished due to a crack in the stone.
The obelisk is still an impressive sight, measuring over 42 meters long and weighing over 1,000 tons. It serves as a reminder of the ancient Egyptian civilization's advanced engineering and architectural capabilities.
Things to do at Unfinished Obelisk
- The Unfinished Obelisk is located in the ancient quarry. Take a guided tour of the quarry where it was carved to learn about ancient Egyptian stone-working techniques.
- Take photos and capture the unique beauty of the Unfinished Obelisk. The Unfinished Obelisk provides an impressive and unique photo opportunity, capturing the scale and beauty of ancient Egyptian engineering.
- Enjoy a picnic or a quiet moment amidst the peaceful surroundings of the quarry. The peaceful and historical surroundings of the obelisk can offer a great opportunity for personal reflection and meditation.
- You can find unique and authentic souvenirs related to ancient Egyptian history and culture at the nearby souvenir shop.
- Visit the Aswan High Dam, a large dam located on the Nile river.
- Explore the Philae Temple, dedicated to the goddess Isis. This temple is located on an island in the Nile river.
- Visit the Nubian Museum, which showcases the history, culture, and artifacts of the Nubian people.
- Take a Nile River Cruise with views of temples, monuments, and the surrounding desert landscape.
- Visit the Tombs of the Nobles at an ancient burial site in Aswan. This site contains the tombs of high-ranking officials and noblemen from the Pharaonic period.
- Take a felucca ride, a traditional sailing boat commonly used in the Nile river for leisurely cruises and sunset rides.